Monday, January 23, 2017

Assignment 02: Pride & Prejudice

I chose to listen to the audio book of Pride And Prejudice for LibraVox.org, which can be found at this link on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVHu5-n69qQ

I feel that Pride and Prejudice has social relevance today through the character of Elizabeth. If a woman knows her self worth, she will not choose someone just because they offer to court her. I found her interactions with the first suitor to be quite refreshing, considering the fact she declines his offer, despite her mother’s insistence that he is a good match. Elizabeth knows that he will not be happy with her. His motivation is not love, but for acquisition of assets. In that time-frame, it was frowned upon for women to be so independent of men, but now emotional strength and education is encouraged. Elizabeth reminds us that we need to self analyze and make choices that are realistic and reasonable versus choices society pressures us to undertake.

I have had experiences where suitors approached me with expectations that I would prioritize their needs over my education and career aspirations. I would gently remind them that I need to dedicate myself to my work because I need to be successful. I am the only sibling to a brother with special needs, and one day his care will fall to me. My brother is low-verbal, and I refuse to let him be in the care of strangers who could mistreat him without consequence because he can't report. Some of my suitors refused to accept my life's circumstances, and chose to leave. However, I do not regret being strong enough to prioritize my education, and the realities of my family situation. These men did not understand my concerns, were too demanding of me, and therefore, not the right fit. I believe I will find someone who supports my choices, and that person will stay. In the meantime, I have my education to keep me focused, and my artistic expression to help me cope and feel fulfilled.

The character of Mr. Darcy first appears aloof and mysterious. Initially, I felt that he was not a good match for our main character. After the other suitors express their self serving desires and the limited role they desired in a partner, we learn Mr. Darcy is actually quite progressive. He wants a woman to be his intellectual and emotional equal rather than a mere acquisition to serve his needs.

I feel I have been misjudged similarly based on first impressions. Some people presume I am naive because of my girlish appearance and mannerly social demeanor causing them to either be pushy, or leave me out of activities entirely. Others assume my priorities can be easily altered to serve their needs. When I refuse to be swayed from my original goals, they are often indignant. This misinterpretation of me has not limited to peers. Prior to attending college, I had a few teachers misjudge me based on my close relationship with my parents. They did not understand that our closeness grew out of working together to keep my low-verbal brother safe. To make it worse, they presumed my parents' support of my artistic goals was “coddling”. It was shortsighted since they never asked about my situation, or made any attempts to understand it. They decided their perception was fact, and the details didn't matter. However, I was lucky to have wonderfully supportive teachers that still follow my progress, which made up for those with lack of interest.

Elizabeth’s sisters seem to be more dependent on the attention of suitors. Lydia’s dependence on suitors puts her in a dangerous situation with a man who lies about his intentions. No one knows where he has taken her, and whether or not he keeps his oath to marry her. I identify with Elizabeth completely. Relationships should be mutually beneficial to be healthy. I have witnessed many girls giving their partners too much authority over their choices, and their self worth will come second to keep the peace. I have never given my self worth away to another person. My progress in my craft is where I get my pride and self esteem.

I feel Pride and Prejudice has historical importance in terms of how women should view themselves as people versus societal expectations. In modern times, a woman being encouraged to be independent minded is not uncommon in many societies. However, some cultures still see the role of woman as subservient. I feel self esteem and happiness occurs when people practice mutual respect and should choose a supportive partner that shares their views.

No comments:

Post a Comment