Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Assignment 04: The Secret History Of Wonder Woman

If I were designing a female superhero character, I would want her to be self sufficient, reliable, intelligent, coy, and fundamentally strong. She would be a master of visual illusion able to manipulate visions and sound to confuse her foes. She would be attractive, and exude confidence. I would not, however, model her with masculine characteristics to illustrate her “strength”.

The idea that a strong woman must demonstrate strength by being portrayed as masculine is shortsighted, and completely inaccurate in today’s landscape. Strength is internal, not external. It comes from intestinal fortitude. Strength is determination, making intelligent choices, and persevering in times of hardship. Feminine or masculine qualities refer to style, but cannot guarantee strength.

I would want my character to be demonstrably feminine because I, myself, am demonstrably feminine. I like dresses and the color pink. I am undeniably “girly”. I define strength as the ability to problem solve and successfully pursue my personal and professional goals. My style doesn’t determine my strength. My choices do.

It is often debated that the biggest mistake when portraying a strong female protagonist is when that same character needs to be rescued, which they argue implies weakness. I believe that completely depends on the circumstances of the story. Was she being heroic? Was she willing to face danger for the good of the many? Was she captured by her enemies for being a threat? Is she considered a worthy adversary? Did she try to save herself? Many stories have male heroes facing peril against their enemies resulting in the need for a rescue. If a strong female faces danger with the same courage as her male counter-part, then her rescue makes her a valued part of a team, not a damsel. To suggest that a woman is somehow weaker for needing help is a dangerous message. Why should a woman be considered strong only if she depends on no one? A man is still considered as strong if he works alongside a supportive brotherhood. It should not be viewed as a sign of weakness to have quality support come to the rescue. Women should not be made to believe that separateness and “never needing help” determines her strength when it is, in fact, determination.

I've observed strong female leads that will avoid any 'classic' feminine characteristics (sometimes vocally rejecting it) and fashion themselves after typical male heroes. I feel this trend suggests that boys set the standard for strength, and girls must mirror them to be considered “strong”. This approach is meant to shatter stereotypes giving girls more imaginative options. However, it tends to come across as “the tomboy” is stronger than “the princess”. This is inaccurate since strength is measured by individual endurance and the ability to persevere. The emphasis should be about what makes an individual strong, and the qualities of dedication and perseverance.

If I were designing a strong female lead, I would want her to have a warm, natural allure, and be as indestructible as Batman. I would want her to have mystique, and be a femme fatale for her enemies. She would be confident and emotionally whole. She would use her talents wisely with humility, compassion, and an unwavering will to survive. I would want to show her practicing her education during the day, and using her intelligence to fight crime during the night. I would want her to be fearless, quick thinking, and maintain a calm exterior that outwits her adversaries. I would want to include pink somewhere in her design to defy the stereotype that femininity implies weakness. Rejection of pink further suggests that regardless of efforts, girls will still be judged by arbitrary standards of strength rather than for their accomplishments. A strong person is inspired by the good works of other strong people. Honorable is honorable regardless of gender.


To sum up, here are the characteristics I’d like to see in a strong female lead:

- Intelligence, compassion and humility

- Illusionist able to manipulate vision and sound

- A Mysterious femme fatale for her enemies

- Cunning survival skills with cool headed bravery

- Emotionally whole

- Pink in design (To defy stereotype that feminine qualities should be rejected to communicate strength)

- Feminine physique, confident and a “knowing” look (feminine, strong, and intelligence combined)


These characteristics are based on my personal perspective. I’ve always been willing to work hard to achieve my goals. From the time I was 2 years old, I've loved the color pink...to the point I was forced to choose other colors. I am the only sibling to an older brother with low-verbal autism. He was a fearless wanderer with severely limited language. We all had to work together in my family to keep my brother safe. I had to stay emotionally strong and dedicate myself to achieve my goals.

The assertion that “pinkifying girls” will somehow weaken potential and limit options is frustrating to me. I believe potential is defined by choices, and a dedication to achievement. My strength is my willingness to work hard for what I want, and to persevere through setbacks. I measure myself by my accomplishments. Wearing pink no more makes me weak than avoiding it makes someone strong. My determination to achieve and willingness to improve is my strength...I just prefer to wear pink while I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment